Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Not so Cool Runnings

A few months ago I decided to challenge myself to my first 5K.  These seem to be very popular, not only to raise money for certain causes, but as a way for people to get fit.

I went shopping, I mean, I needed to, right?  I bought new running sneakers, socks and a jogging bra.  In my pea brain, I thought this was going to make me an expert.  I would whip off 3.1 miles easy, as long as I was dressed appropriately.

Who am I kidding?  Have you ever SEEN me run?  It is not pretty.  I labored around the block, practically tripping over my own feet.  Who invented running anyway?  This should not be a sport, it is a form of torture.  Whenever I passed anyone, or a car came by, I would try and look like I knew what I was doing.  I think they all knew better.  My cats can walk faster than I can plod along, I don't know who I believe I am fooling.

I decided to take a break after my first run, I mean, I don't want to overdo it.  The break has lasted about three months, and now with less than three weeks to go before my 5K, I am in a complete panic.

I have decided I will do "two-a-days," a term I heard from high school sports teams.  This means I am actually torturing myself in the morning and evening, and I am up to a whopping 1.6 miles at a stretch.  If I combined both the morning and evening stints, I will be able to finish this race, but I think the point of the 5K is to run it all at once.  Ah well.  Wish me luck.

 

After one mile I collapsed into my own driveway.  I figured I had my phone with me, so if I needed resuscitation, I could call into the house and have someone come out and revive me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment